Skip to main content

Are My Spider Veins a Threat to My Health?

Are My Spider Veins a Threat to My Health?

There’s a good reason why people refer to those thread-like veins that appear on your legs as spider veins, given that they create a web of spindly red lines. While you may not welcome their appearance for cosmetic reasons, you’re also concerned about whether spider veins pose a threat to your health. The short answer is that, in most cases, they do not.

To help you better understand spider veinsDr. Madaiah Revana and our team here at Humble Cardiology Associates present the following review. We explore what these veins are, whether there are any health risks associated with them, and our treatment options for spider veins.

Spider veins at a glance

The veins in your legs are responsible for returning blood to your heart for oxygen and nutrients. About 90% of this workload falls to the deep veins in your legs, which are far below the surface of your skin and nestled within your muscles. The remaining 10% of the venous work is executed by superficial veins that lie closer to the surface of your skin.

When you develop spider veins, it’s only superficial veins that are involved, which means that the circulation in your legs isn’t compromised in any meaningful way.

While no definitive cause has been recognized for spider veins, we do know that several factors can play a role, including:

What many of these risk factors can lead to is a condition called chronic venous insufficiency (CVI). With CVI, the valves in your veins that help push blood back toward your heart begin to weaken and fail. When this happens, blood can spill backward and engorge a vein, sending it to the surface of your skin. 

With CVI, spider veins can develop, as well as their much larger cousins — varicose veins.

In an overwhelming majority of cases, spider veins don’t pose any health risk and are more of a cosmetic concern. Uncommonly, spider veins can become itchy or uncomfortable.

Treating spider veins

If you’d like to get rid of your spider veins, the good news is that we have two highly effective treatment options:

  1. Sclerotherapy: We inject a solution into the vein that causes it to collapse
  2. VeinGogh™: We destroy the spider veins with bursts of light energy

In both cases, any blood that the spider vein housed reroutes itself to healthier blood vessels.

Aside from being effective, both spider vein treatments are quick and easy, and we perform them on an outpatient basis. There’s no downtime afterward, but we do recommend that you wear compression stockings for a couple of weeks to help with the circulation in your lower legs.

If you have more questions about spider veins and your treatment options, please contact one of our offices in Humble or Houston, Texas, to schedule an appointment.

You Might Also Enjoy...

5 Signs of Deep Vein Thrombosis

5 Signs of Deep Vein Thrombosis

Each year in the United States, about 200,000 people develop deep vein thrombosis — a cardiovascular condition that requires immediate attention. Here are some warning signs of this vascular issue.
How an Angioplasty Can Improve Your Heart Health

How an Angioplasty Can Improve Your Heart Health

If your heart isn’t getting the blood and oxygen it needs to function properly, imagine what this means for the rest of your body. This is where an angioplasty can change the course of your health for the better.

Why Am I Getting Spider Veins in Pregnancy?

Your body undergoes an incredible amount of change during the nine months of your pregnancy. One of those changes might be the appearance of spider veins on your legs and elsewhere. Here’s why.

4 Sneaky Causes of High Blood Pressure

High blood pressure is a tricky condition since it has no obvious symptoms when it first develops. Making matters more complicated is that there are some less-than-obvious drivers of this common condition.

When to Worry About Swollen Legs

You have swelling in your lower legs and you know the issue isn’t related to any injury, so what could it be? And should you be worried? Perhaps, which is why investigating leg swelling is a good idea.

Head Into the New Year With Less Stubborn Fat

You’ve been waging a battle against stubborn fat, and you’re not making the progress you had hoped for. Here's a look at how we can give you a powerful fat-reduction boost to kick off the new year.